Were you drawn by us at a recent event?

Sunday, December 11, 2011

12-11-11 San Francisco Toyota's Holiday Party

This event gives me an opportunity to reflect on my history in San Francisco working as a caricaturist. In 2005, I finished college and moved across the country to SF with no job waiting, no close friends or family, and hopes of making an adventurous life for myself. I had drawn caricatures since High School at theme parks around the country, but after graduating with a fine arts degree I wrongly believed that was behind me. I hoped to support myself with a little job and focus on painting until I could paint full time. Within a year I was broke and hating the jobs slinging coffee, selling shoes, and moving furniture that I had done to get by in SF. In an act of desperation, I went down to Fisherman's Wharf and starting selling caricatures. Immediately, things got better. I loved drawing people and being my own boss. I sold to tourists and locals for a couple years, painting more or less full time and paying the rent by drawing at the Wharf on the weekends. On one of these weekends, Doug Donnellan and Frank Celaya, part of the team who runs the Toyota sales in SF, came to the wharf looking for a caricaturist for their Holiday party. This was the first big corporate client to come along! I loved working with a company that was known and respected in the Bay Area. The Holiday party they hired me for in 2006 was the start of my moving in the direction of working for corporate and private events. Before long I was done with the wharf and had began my career as a digital caricaturist, working all over the Bay Area as well as traveling the world to draw. When I needed a new car, they were there to help me out. They have called me almost every year since to work the Holiday Party. Unfortunately, I missed out on the celebration the past couple of years due to previous bookings, but this year I was back!






















A big thank you to Doug and Frank! You guys have always been supportive and really did help me to get a start here. I hope to draw for you for many years to come!